January 15, 2016
Goldfish bowls cause fires!
Homeowners are all too aware of the issues that may lead to a home insurance claim in the winter, such as burst pipes and flooding. But did you know the low winter sun can cause real problems too?
Insurers have dealt with a number of claims caused by the sun’s rays – which have had devastating effects for homeowners and their families. When the sun shines through a home’s windows it can be magnified by glass objects such as crystal ornaments, vases and mirrors, and cause material furnishings and clothes to catch fire. Even your goldfish bowl could be the cause of your home catching light.
Here are a few things we think you should be aware of:
- It’s best to keep glass, and anything that could concentrate the sun’s rays, out of direct sunlight and away from window sills – this applies at any time of year, but particularly when the sun is low in the sky. That includes vases, crystal ornaments, jars, bottles, and mirrors – and your goldfish bowl!
- Many people have their dressing table in the bedroom window with a vanity mirror on it. It might seem harmless enough but there have been devastating, total loss house fires caused by furniture being arranged like this
- Make sure smoke alarms are fitted on every floor of your home, and if it’s a larger house having a smoke alarm on every floor is advisable
- Just having a smoke alarm is not enough, you need to check them monthly to ensure the batteries aren’t flat – or they haven’t been ‘borrowed’ to power something else
For help and information on home insurance, contact Ros Urbanowicz